It's choice, not chance, that determines your destiny

This is my blog about life - travel - new experiences - growth.
Please join me in my journey.......



September 25, 2009

Strawberry Rock


September 24, 2009
On this day we hiked an unposted trail called Strawberry Rock that's well known to the locals but hard to find for others. Alex & Mike, who'd been up the trail in the past, were our well-equiped guides. The first thing I noticed at the trailhead was the "No Tresspassing" sign posted on the gate, but this didn't seem to be a problem with Alex, who said that no one pays attention to it anyway! We hiked uphill until we came to a rock quary, where we could view our destination, Stawberry Rock, in the distance. I'm glad Alex was with us, as there were some forks in the road along the way with no clear indication which way to go. Along the trail were many kinds of ripe berries....blackberries and some that looked like wild blueberries. We followed a gravel road for a short distance before hiking uphill once again to face of Strawberry Rock.The first thing I noticed was that I had to climb (scale?) the very vertical (for me, a NON climber) face of that rock. I was last and had a lot of trepidation about whether I could make it up there but since I REALLY wanted to see the view from the top I persevered and finally made it up. It was worth it! Even though the day wasn't perfectly clear it was still an awesome view. Quiet. Peaceful. Serene. Now and then you could hear cars on Hwy 101 but you couldn't see them...they were well hidden in the trees. We stayed up there for awhile but all too soon it was time to hike back. I was nervous about climbing back down the rock but it proved easier than going up. Someday it would be worth a trip back at sunset!


















































No comments:

Post a Comment