It's choice, not chance, that determines your destiny

This is my blog about life - travel - new experiences - growth.
Please join me in my journey.......



March 24, 2011

Land of the Saguaro

March 24, 2011

Being in Arizona is like being home. In fact, this will be my home for the last month of my trip. I love the desert, the quail, the heat of the southwest in the winter. When everyone up north are still huddling in their blankets, it's been a comfortable 80 here. Am I rubbing it in? I sound like I'm rubbing it in! I know that all too soon I'll be the one trying to stay warm up north so - I'm gonna rub it in a little bit!!

Spent a little time in Tucson. Took some nice walks of course! Went to the Desert Museum and the Pima Air and Space Museum. Tried to go to a restaurant I've been trying to go to for quite sometime and was unsuccessful once again so went to restaurant number two and it was surprisingly good, although probably twice as expensive as restaurant number one would have been. We could have waited the hour to get into restaurant one (at 3:30 in the afternoon, no less) but we'd already left our dogs for 6 hours alone in the motorhome and to chance another 2-3 hours? Uh....no!

I had to get the cooling unit in my refrigerator fixed in Tucson. It went out while I was still in Big Bend so I'd been bagging ice for the last week until I could get it fixed. Cooper and I spent the day lounging around in the parking lot while they serviced my fridge. I'm happy to say it works perfectly and unhappy to say I'm in-the-hole with my budget!

 After leaving Tucson I drove to Gila Bend to meet up with mom and dad for the night. While they stayed on before moving west, I chose to drive north to spend the month of March in Buckeye. So this is the part in the trip where we had to part ways. It's been great traveling with my parents over the past year. I chose to take advantage of an opportunity to be able to travel to Alaska and the Gulf Coast with them while we were all still able and willing to do so and I don't regret it one bit. It's been a trip full of learning experiences and memories and even though the price of gas was a budget breaker and the weather was "40 degrees below normal", I'd do it all again. I mean, look......sitting in a cubicle staring at a computer screen or driving the vast and open road.....from the great Mount McKinley in Alaska, the Outer Banks of North Carolina, the miles of solitude walking the beach at Padre Island, the very friendly Winter Texans in Del Rio, Tx the desert sunsets of Arizona.  Which would you choose?

So now I'm really on my own! The RV park where I'm located is nice. It's big with full hook-ups. I pay electric once a month. They have a pool, a rec hall (which they call The Barn), a laundry, secure bathrooms, a convenience store. Not a lot of tress, but what can you expect in Arizona?

There is a lot of land around the park where I can let Cooper run off leash. He loves to chase all the rabbits and quail - like he thinks he can really catch them! Cooper and I do a LOT of walking, since I'm living the life of luxury and have little else to do during my day. I've caught up on my reading and lately I've taught myself how to crochet a blanket. Thanks to Google and U-Tube, I've mastered the double crochet cross-stitch! So far my blanket definately looks like amatuer crocheting but I figure practice makes perfect. During the one day of rain last week I spent all day practicing!

I have friends arriving by plane on April 2nd. They own a home around here and so I'm going to park in their driveway so we can catch up and party! I'm so excited to see everyone I haven't seen for 6 months and to have real adult conversation! Cooper is great but doesn't talk back. (hum....maybe that's a good thing!)

After a week with good friends I'll be heading north again, leaving the warmth of the desert for the rain of the northwest. But all good things on the road must come to an end I'm afraid. This has been the trip of a lifetime and I've learned so much about owning and driving a motorhome. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Unfortunately, this girl has  to earn back the money she spent in gas to travel the country and therefore must find a job.

While this adventure is almost over for me, there are new and exciting things on the horizon. Life is always an adventure. Life is good.

Hasta la próxima vez, mis amigos

No comments:

Post a Comment